We are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 Holy Trinity Centennial Scholarship. Thank you for your interest.
Dear Holy Trinity Parish,
Please allow me to express my sincere gratitude for the scholarship you have awarded me for the 2017-2018 school year. Your
Centennial Scholarship will help me pay for education to become an Episcopal priest. A wise preacher I know once asked, “If
you woke up tomorrow and had only what you thanked God for today, what would you have left?” I will have the good people
of Holy Trinity Parish. I thank God for your support and will keep you all in my prayers along the journey.
Dear people of Holy Trinity Parish:
I am a postulant for holy orders from the Diocese of Arkansas in my second year at Sewanee. I am honored to have been chosen to receive a scholarship for the following academic year. I am continually amazed at the support I have received from faithful people throughout the Episcopal Church.
A native of Missouri, I came to the Episcopal Church while attending the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was pulled in by our rich liturgy and traditions, which I had not experienced while growing up Pentecostal. I earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science and French in 2014 from the University of Arkansas, and a Master in Public Administration and Nonprofit Studies in 2016, also from the University of Arkansas. I began seminary at Sewanee last fall.
After my first year, I am looking forward to continuing to grow alongside my friends as we prepare for the priesthood in Christ’s Church. At Sewanee, I know I am being prepared to be a faithful priest, pastor, and teacher for those to whom I will be sent. In addition, I am excited to be returning to Sewanee this August as a married man. My fiancee, Molly, and I will be married in Little Rock this July, and we could not be more excited! We will move to Sewanee in August with our puppy Pete and our fat cat Gunther.
Again, thank you for your generosity. May God bless you.
Thank you for your interest in the Holy Trinity Centennial Scholarship Trust. The sole function of the Trust is to provide scholarship aid to persons actively involved in or committed to future participation in the ministry of the Episcopal Church or the Anglican Communion. For example, the Trust might help an applicant initiate, develop, or complete a program of study through an educational institution, seminar, or certification program. Funds granted could be used for registration, books, tuition, or fees. Grants generally vary between $1,000 and $5,000.
In order to be considered for a scholarship, a complete application should be submitted which is to include:
- A detailed description of the ministry that the applicant intends to pursue
- A detailed explanation of how any scholarship funds that may be granted will be used
- An indication of previous academic curriculum and performance including a sealed, official copy of the applicant’s college transcript (undergraduate). Graduate school transcripts may be submitted also.
- A current resume/ curriculum vitae
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent IRS Form 1040 (please do not include any schedules or attachments). If income for the current year is expected to be significantly different from that on the IRS form, indicate this figure as well.
- Three letters of support or recommendation mailed independently by the references. One of the references must be by an ordained member of the Episcopal/Anglican clergy. Family members may not serve as references.
For applicants outside North America:
- Include all the information above except the IRS Form 1040.
In addition, please include:
- Detailed information on the applicant’s sources of income.
- A letter from the applicant’s Bishop, indicating approval or endorsement
- Submission of the application electronically rather than regular mail
Deadline for all application materials, including letters of support, is March 31, 2017 (received by not postmarked by). All materials should be sent to:
Scholarship Selection Committee
Holy Trinity Centennial Scholarship Trust
c/o Holy Trinity Parish
515 East Ponce de Leon Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
Award decisions will be announced on Trinity Sunday, June 11, 2017
Sarah Christian, Parish Administrator